Monday, November 8, 2010

Jay Gibbons- a story of perseverance

Once you get there, you will do anything to get back.

As a Yankee fan, I remember Jay Gibbons as one of the outfielders on the Orioles team that kept finishing in 4th place in the AL East, only in front of the Tampa Bay Devil Rays. He was a good player, hitting .247 with 28 homers and 68 RBI in his 2nd year in '02, and hitting .277 with 23 homers and 100 RBI in '03. After hitting just .246 with 10 homers and 47 RBI because of injuries in '04, Gibbons rebounded to hit .277 with 26 homers and 79 RBI in '05. Gibbons played in just 90 games in '06 because of injuries, hitting .277 with 13 homers and 46 RBI. But, in September, his life changed. Former relief pitcher Jason Grimsley told federal agents that Gibbons, among others, used steroids. Gibbons denied the reports.

After hitting .230 with 6 homers and 6 homers and 28 RBI in 84 games, Gibbons was named in the Mitchell Report. Sports Illustrated reported that Gibbons used HGH and steroids from '03 to '05, with '03 and '05 being 2 of his best 3 seasons. He was released by Orioles in Spring Training of '08.

He was so desperate that he wrote this letter to all 30 MLB teams:

Writing this letter is both painful and humiliating. It has been almost six weeks since my release from the Orioles and I am still unable to land any opportunity at a second chance to play the game that I love.

I am young, healthy and determined. I have acknowledged and apologized for the mistake that I made and writing this letter should be proof enough that I have indeed suffered for my mistake.

I have faith and hope that some team will give me the chance to prove that I can not only be a productive player but also be a stellar member of their organization. My faith in a second chance has inspired me to work harder than I have at any time in my life. My faith has gotten me through this most difficult period in my life.

All I need is a chance -- any chance -- anywhere. I am more than willing to begin the process of proving that I can and will be a productive major league player by playing in the minor leagues.

As you know, I have played seven seasons in the big leagues and have hit 20-plus homeruns in three seasons and have hit .277 in three seasons (2003, 2005 and 2006). At 31 years old, I have NO DOUBT that my best baseball is ahead of me.

I know that my agents at ACES have tried to land me an opportunity in the minor leagues but have been met with negative responses by each and every Organization. I am not blind to the fact that I have made a mistake and that mistake has raised doubt about my character and ability. It is important that you know that my indiscretions, while regretful, were made in an effort to heal a nagging wrist injury. I would encourage you to speak with anyone in this game, including players, coaches, front office etc. who know me. I am confident that everyone you speak with will vouch for my character.

I respectfully and humbly request that you grant me the chance to play for your organization. I am so willing to prove myself as a player, and a person, that I will donate ALL of my minor league earnings to your Club's charity. In the event that I earn the right to play at the major league level, I will gladly donate a significant sum to that same charity.

Once again, all I need is a chance and I will prove that I can be an extremely productive player and a great addition to your organization.

Please feel free to contact me directly [phone number omitted]. Thank you for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,

Jay Gibbons

Even though he used steroids, reading that letter almost made me cry. No team signed Gibbons to even to a minor league deal and he instead played with the independent Long Island Ducks. He hit .280 with 5 homers and 19 RBI in 27 games for the Ducks before finally being signed to a minor league deal by the Brewers. He hit very well for Triple-A Nashville in the Brewers organization hitting .312 with 5 homers and 15 RBI in 29 games. He was a free agent after the year, and signed to a minor league contract by the Marlins in January of '09. But, the Marlins released him in mid-March, and he was signed by the independent Newark Bears. He couldn't even hit well for the Bears, hitting just .233 with 4 homers and 19 RBI in 40 games. At 32, he appeared to be washed up.

Still, for some reason he was signed to a minor league contract by the Dodgers in January '10. The move certainly paid off. Gibbons hit a ridiculous .347 for Triple-A Albuquerque, with 19 homers and 83 RBI. He was promoted to the majors on August 8th, he hit .280 with 5 homers and 17 RBI. The Dodgers re-signed him to a 1-year contract worth $650,000 with incentives.

Even in a country of second chances, no one, maybe not even Gibbons himself, thought he would get back. He has become an inspiration. An inspiration to everyone who has made a mistake- all of us. No one is perfect. When you make a mistake, you have to persevere through it and get back to who you were before. You can fall all the way down, but if you're a good person and you're sincere, like Gibbons, you can realistically get all back up.

No comments:

Post a Comment